Our Kidson <span class="highlight">Track</span> / <span class="highlight">WAPET</span> <span class="highlight">Track</span> Blog is now live

Submitted: Friday, Dec 16, 2022 at 18:37
ThreadID: 145126 Views:2447 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Our Blog of our trip a few months ago along the Kidson / WAPET from 80 Mile Beach to Kunawarritji is now published. Hope you enjoy. Kidson Track Blog
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: Member - kimberleybloke - Friday, Dec 16, 2022 at 19:30

Friday, Dec 16, 2022 at 19:30
Seems a lot more overgrown than when we travelled the Kidson in June/July 2018. Luckily back then there was no mining activity, and we had the whole track to ourselves. Just wondering if the Razor Blade Bore was in operation? In 2018 someone was in the process of fitting a hand pump, but it was an incomplete job in 2018. Great Blog, Thanks.
AnswerID: 642330

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Dec 16, 2022 at 21:40

Friday, Dec 16, 2022 at 21:40
As per the Comment we put in the Place it has had the tank removed from the stand and the windmill is disconnected but all equipment was there if it needed to be used (would be quite a feat).
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921837

Follow Up By: JOHN C36 - Saturday, Dec 17, 2022 at 00:50

Saturday, Dec 17, 2022 at 00:50
In 2015 the tank was removing itself from the stand.

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 921838

Reply By: JOHN C36 - Saturday, Dec 17, 2022 at 00:45

Saturday, Dec 17, 2022 at 00:45
Great blog. I travelled north up the Kidson Track in 2015 soon after permits were issued. At that time the track had been closed to tourists for a few years and mining activity had ceased. I saw no other vehicles and there were no recent wheel tracks apart from a few near the Great Northern Highway.

Nabaru Rose’s Track was rougher than the Nyangumarta Highway and had more frequent and more severe washouts.

The emergency airstrip at the end was starting to get overgrown.

The most interesting sight was the abandoned oil rig near the end of Nabaru Rose’s Track.

The Percival Lakes are a significant location in Aboriginal Dreamtime. Some believe it is where the Rainbow Serpent was created or awakened.

Cheers, John
AnswerID: 642335

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2022 at 16:31

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2022 at 16:31
Hi John,
Thanks for answering my questions and supplying the various photos to illustrate. Pretty much what we expected.

We should add the abandoned oil rig into ExplorOz Places so its on the map for future visitors - is that something you can do or send me the coordinates and I'll do it. Then we can add your photo as well and then keep the info available. I"m sure I recall someone like Mick O or Equinox talking about trips to Percival Lakes...

Cheers Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921883

Sponsored Links